Sydney Father Accused of Killing Wife and Two Young Sons in Campbelltown Family Tragedy
A quiet suburban street in Sydney has been left devastated after a father was charged with murdering his wife and two young sons inside their family home in Campbelltown.
Police allege that Md Shomon Ahamed, 47, killed his 46-year-old wife and their two sons, aged 12 and 4, at their home on Raymond Avenue before calling emergency services himself shortly before 8 p.m. Monday night.
According to investigators, Ahamed contacted triple-0 around 7:50 p.m., allegedly telling dispatchers he had killed his family with a knife.
Emergency crews and police officers rushed to the residence, where they discovered the bodies of the woman and the two boys inside the home.
Acting Superintendent Michael Moroney described the scene as “particularly violent,” stating that all three victims had suffered significant injuries.
Authorities allege the killings occurred over several hours.
Police claim the youngest child was killed first before Ahamed allegedly collected his older son from school and later killed him as well. Investigators further allege that the suspect ambushed his wife in the garage after she returned home from work.
The suspect, who police say was the primary caregiver for the couple’s autistic and non-verbal sons while his wife worked full time, was arrested at the scene and charged with three counts of domestic violence murder.
Court documents and investigators allege the killings may have been planned for months.
Police claim Ahamed told detectives he had read about another tragic case earlier this year in Perth involving the deaths of autistic children in a murder-suicide, and that the case had influenced his thinking.
Authorities also allege the suspect spoke about struggles with depression following a cancer diagnosis in 2024, although he reportedly claimed to now be in remission.
Ahamed briefly appeared before Campbelltown Local Court on Tuesday, where he did not apply for bail.
Outside court, defense lawyer Jawad Hosain said his client was “extremely distressed.”
“It’s obviously a tragic set of circumstances for the victims, the community and the family of the victims and he’s pretty distraught,” Hosain told reporters.
The matter has been adjourned, with the accused expected to return to court in mid-July.
Neighbors and members of the local community have been left stunned by the tragedy, describing the family as quiet, private, and respectful.
“They kept to themselves, they were very withdrawn … just a very quiet family,” one resident said.
Another neighbor described the loss as unimaginable.
“I’m a mum, it’s unbelievable,” she said.
A woman who lived next door said the family had always been kind and friendly.
“I got to know them quite well actually. I was just in shock,” the neighbor said. “Whenever I went to see them, they were so friendly. They were really good people.”
Friends of the accused also told local media they had noticed him becoming increasingly withdrawn in recent months and said he had stopped returning calls and messages.
The deaths have sparked widespread grief throughout the Bangladeshi-Australian community and across western Sydney, with flowers and tributes appearing outside the family home as residents struggled to process the tragedy.
Police investigations remain ongoing.
If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health challenges or emotional distress, support is available through crisis services, mental health professionals, and trusted support networks.